Friday, March 02, 2007

Michael Jackson - Live in Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour 1992 (released 2005)

I am not much of a concert album person. In fact, I own only two live albums – both of which I have yet to listen to (and that’s including The Rolling Stones “Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out” on vinyl…I know, I’m a terrible person for not listening to that album).

The same goes for concert DVDs. I was given the Michael Jackson Ultimate Collection box set two years ago and pretty much ignored the concert DVD which was included in it.

Big Mistake.

The Michael Jackson Live in Concert in Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour is absolutely fantastic. Sure, Michael Jackson has a strange and creepy personal life but there’s no denying that he is – or, if some of you prefer, WAS – a genius. If you can dance like that for an hour and a half AND sing at the same time without having a respiratory breakdown, you deserve credit. And Michael Jackson definitely deserves that credit.

Of course, I am not trying to claim musical superiority – that I KNOW what makes a good concert and what doesn’t. After all, my own concert-attending-resume hardly puts me in the position to do so: I’ve been to 9 “real” concerts, 3 music festivals, and a happy sum of small local acts. And that, by all accounts, is just plain pitiful. But I DO know what I like and this definitely fits into that exclusive category.

Michael Jackson – ever the box of surprises – starts off the show by exploding onto the stage. Now, for those of you who are still, at this point, wondering whether or not this will be a good concert…HELLO? Michael Jackson just EXPLODED onto the stage…from NOWHERE! Of course this is going to be a fucking good concert! And if you were unimpressed by that explosion, you might as well just turn off the TV right now because NOTHING will ever be good enough to impress you!

I won’t try to hide it: I love Michael Jackson, I love his dancing, I love his singing. So naturally, I loved the whole concert. However, I’m not going to say that the whole concert was absolutely flawless – it was speckled with a number of weird moments but of course, that only made it all the more fun for me to watch. For one, I thought that little piece of fan-girl drama during “She’s Out Of My Life” was absolutely priceless, mainly because the girl was screaming like a crazy woman while Michael Jackson just kept on singing as if the world was still all good. Now THAT’S a performer.

I also liked the guitarist’s get-up in “Beat It”. The Beat It solo is probably one of the most kick-ass moments of Michael Jackson music but I REFUSE to take it seriously when it is played by a guitarist dressed like something from the Disneyland Electrical Light Parade.

In all seriousness though, I did think that “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” was particularly well performed. Of course, things got a bit uncomfortable when vocalist Siedah Garrett joined the stage and started feeling herself up. Back in 1992, Garrett looked really unattractive and, in general, I don’t enjoy watching unattractive people touching themselves. But, she CAN sing…so I guess I’ll just have to turn a blind eye (literally) and just enjoy the music. The things I do for good music.


Eww...SO unappetizing...

Also, I absolutely LOVED the four male backup singer/dancers. So sexy (well, two of them at least). And nothing makes a good concert like grown men in tight costumes dancing like go-go boys at a gay bar. They were like a modern-day Village people – only hotter and much more useful to society.

They make me happy...


I know what you're thinking and no - It's NOT the Power Rangers. It's Michael Jackson and his 'crew'


Man in the Mirror” is one of my favorite Michael Jackson songs so naturally, I was ecstatic that he chose it as the closer. That performance was definitely the highlight for me and Michael Jackson couldn’t have done better. What’s so great about Michael Jackson is that he’ll put everything into the performance – even when he collapses, he’ll keep on singing. It’s pure musicianship.

And, wow…did Michael Jackson just FLY off the stage? I’m not joking – near the end of Man in the Mirror, they strap him into a spacesuit and he LITERALLY flies off the stage.

But you'd think Michael Jackson would at least deserve a mini-rocket...not just 2 oxygen tanks...

And Ladies and Gentlemen, what more can you ask for in a concert??

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes this concert is great and michael blackson is the greatest showman ever. hee hee. owwww. shamone. youve been hit by youve been struck by.... a smooth criminal. gangsta!!!!

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The King has returned.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother taped this concert for me, when it aired in Sweden, 1992-1993. I was probably 6 or 7 years old. I was spelled by him before, but after seeing this - I got absolutely stuck on everything he ever did. And when I got older, I bought the DVD. And I watch it often. I totally agree with you - I am an amateur-performer myself, so I know how hard it is to dance and sing many minutes without interruption. It's not as easy as it looks!

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love mj but..

you don't really think that thats him on the jetpack do you now?

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um whats the name of the second backup dancer to the left?

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was MJ in the end flying away ....yes its on wires but u can clearly see him geting into the suit and everything on stage

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not MJ piloting the jetpack. Yes, they do suit him up in the same costume as the stunt person, but MJ does no flying. They actually put him behind a partition and switch to the stunt person when the partition is removed. A bit of old-fashioned magic.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

michael jackson is one of a kind dancer and singer. while watched the concert on tv iwas totally amazed by his incredible of a kind talent.he made everybody happy.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

michael rocks

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

michael jackson is one of a kind. he was always there ready to give. and his talent amazed me. that explosion was the best part. WE LOVE YOU MICHAEL JACKSON R.I.P

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've been hit, you've been struck by a SMOOTH CRIMINAL!!! WHEN HE DID THE EXPLOSION ENTRANCE I WAS SHOCKED

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! MJ is great and nobody can replace him...im watching his concert on TV right now ,Lol.
IF you think MJ is bad , then lets just see you dance and sing at the same time for 2 hours !!!!!!!

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love mj but it wasnt actually michael jackson flying off the stage it was a stunt man
when he goes into the box to get the rocket mj stays in the box and the stunt man comes out theres a little platform in the box were he stands.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my mum told me that if it wa mj that flew and something went wrong he would be ripped to shreds by his fans so they use a stunt man

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fan drama on the stage - that was pre-arranged. But it looks so natural and MJ deserves kudos for stage-managing it and making people believe it is spontaneous.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Michael Jackson is a wonderful person!!!!
And i think, that, nobody replease him!!!!
Im Uruguaian, from Uruguay, and a LOVE MICHAEL JACKSON!!!No blackson!!!!
I have the concert on DVD...
Its wonderful!!!
I love the way that he move, dance and sing!!!
BYE, BYE...
MJ

8:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MJ didn't fly of the stage , he is replaced by another one at the last moment when he pushed the car with oxygen tanks please see it again

5:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MJ didn't fly of the stage , he is replaced by another one at the last moment when he pushed the car with oxygen tanks please see it again

5:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i think it might have been MJ flying @ the end cos u can CLEARLY see his face through the visa just beore he flys off and yes he was on wires but it was still amazing. ppl say it was a stuntman, but if you rememba him saying in a interveiw(i cant rememba which 1 cos iv seen loads) he says "i like to do all the stunts myself" then you'll see what i mean.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i definitely need to get this dvd it sounds good. i've been a big mj fan for a long time but was too young to go to any of his concerta

6:28 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hi Sanna.. my mom did the same thing for me in 1993! I was about 7 years old, but he was so special to my child eyes... then I've grown up and saw him for what he was... a genius! Now he's gone... too soon yes, and I don't think that this world will see again something like that. Nobody will be so great as he was. Last june the whole world lost a piece of HIStory.
Love u Michael...
Sara, Firenze (Italy)

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://markonzo.edu http://blog.tellurideskiresort.com/members/paroxetine-side-effects.aspx http://www.purevolume.com/listeners/Acyclovir wyatt ntroduce http://www.ecometro.com/Community/members/habeis-tomado-dostinex.aspx http://profiles.friendster.com/premarin#moreabout

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can on the DVD of Michael dancing so well after that someone wants to make me famous! I'm from holland and am now 11 years!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Bkkersey93 said...

Exactly. These amateur people know nothing about good ole tricks like from David Copperfield and Doug Henning.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Bkkersey93 said...

Exactly. These amateur people know nothing about good ole tricks like from David Copperfield and Doug Henning.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Dj Ahezzy said...

Micheal was suited in the Jetpack outfit. But if you notice when he walk to the partition to get thejet pack he bends down and this is when the switch is made. Mike get inside the partition u can see the curtain on it lifts up which wasn't suppose to happen

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im Uruguaian, from Uruguay...

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home